Picking Up STEAM
The Creative Learning Alliance is thrilled to be part of Iconic Joplin, co-hosting with the Joplin History and Mineral Museum, Joplin Parks and Recreation Department, and the Joplin Public Library. Applications for Iconic Joplin are now open to youth ages 12 to 16 at landmark-builds.com. Iconic Joplin has been endorsed by the Joplin Celebrations Commission as an official event of the Joplin 150th Birthday Celebration.
Iconic Joplin is a program of Landmark Builds, whose founder Lisa Nelson will mentor up to three teams per host location through a series of eight build sessions. Each team will select a Joplin landmark, in its past, present, or future state, and learn about its significance with the help of local experts. They will then work together to design the landmark from LEGO bricks. The teams will compete for various awards, including People’s Choice. The completed LEGO builds will tour the city in spring of 2023 and be available online for the public to view and vote for their favorite.
Iconic Joplin is presented by engineering firm Olsson and sponsored by Emery Sapp & Sons, Inc., Missouri American Water, and Paragon Architecture, LLC.
Come See Us in the Community
Joining in the fun at some community events in the next few months? Find us at these upcoming activities:
- Joplin Parks and Recreation Hayride: October 21 @ 7:00 to 9:00 pm at McClelland Park
- Joplin Parks and Recreation Breakfast with Santa: December 2 @ 8:00 to 10:00 am at the Joplin Mineral Museum.
Come Play at the Lab
“Children learn as they play, most importantly, in play children learn how to learn. – O. Fred Donaldson.
Check out our upcoming events and bring the whole family to come and play!
- October 29 – Spooky Science @ 12:00 to 1:00 pm
- November 26 – Food Science @ 12:00 to 1:00 pm
- December 6 – Open Lab with hot cocoa and treats before and during the Joplin Christmas Parade @ 5:00 to 7:00 pm
- December 28 to 29 – Christmas Break Lego Camp (times to be announced at a later date)
Giving is right around the corner. Make plans now to give back to your community on Giving Tuesday, November 29. We’d love to be your choice for giving!
Keep your eye on our social media pages for lots of information starting in late October.
How Can You Get Involved?
Gift your time, talent or treasure by:
- Joining a committee (please see committee information below).
- Sharing our posts.
- Inviting us to present to your civic club or organization.
- Choosing us as your AmazonSmile recipient.
- Introducing us to interested organizations.
Interested in joining a committee? The following committees would love to have your help:
- Finance (contact: Shelly Kraft, email@example.com)
- Facilities (contact: Chad Greer, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Outreach (contact: Kitty Ward, email@example.com)
- Governance (contact: Carolina Neal, firstname.lastname@example.org)
We are so grateful for Liberty Utilities generous donation! We can’t wait to bring the Illumination State to our kiddos. Learn more about the Illumination State here.
About The Creative Learning Alliance:
The Creative Learning Alliance is a hands-on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics) based attraction that exercises curiosity, promotes exploration, and develops imagination for people of all ages through interactivity. The nonprofit is run by a volunteer board of directors working to develop a new science center for the region. Find the Creative Learning Alliance at CreativeLearningAlliance.org or on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and TikTok @creativelearningalliance.
Neely Myers, Program Coordinator
Creative Learning Alliance
Be the first to comment