(Joplin, MO) – The official opening celebration of the Harry M. Cornell Arts & Entertainment Complex will be held this Saturday, November 12, 12:00 – 5:00p m (212 West 7th Street, Joplin, MO 64801).
Activities will include self-guided tours, giant interactive puppets from StoneLion Puppet Theatre from Kansas City, an exclusive free t-shirt giveaway sponsored by Mercy Hospital Joplin, art activities, food trucks, and more. Entertainment in the Beshore Performance Hall, featuring local performers, will be held throughout the day. Schedule of performances:
- 12:00 to 12:30 pm | Midwest Regional Ballet
- 12:30 to 1:00 pm | Missouri Southern State University’s Chamber Singers
- 1:00 to 1:30 pm | Briley Performing Arts
- 1:30 to 2:00 pm | Pinocchio School of Dance
- 2:00 to 2:30 pm | Heartland Opera Theatre
- 2:30 to 3:00 pm | Joplin High School’s Strolling Strings
- 3:00 to 4:00 pm | Joplin Piano Teachers Association’s Students
- 4:00 to 4:30 pm | Karen’s Dance Studio
Official opening remarks, followed by a ribbon-cutting, will be held in the Beshore Performance Hall immediately following Midwest Regional Ballet’s performance.
The Harry M. Cornell Arts & Entertainment Complex is a multifunctional visual and performing arts center. The building, an intentional home for the arts in Joplin, brings Connect2Culture, George A. Spiva Center for the Arts, and more together under one roof. The Cornell Complex will educate, enlighten, and entertain, while attracting more people and activities to downtown Joplin and the region.
DLR Group, in partnership with Corner Greer Architects, developed the Complex to optimize flexibility for the performing and visual arts. The DLR Group design, inspired by the forms of the zinc mined in Joplin, is set within a new urban green where the stage opens onto an outdoor amphitheater, further enhancing the accessibility of the venue to the community.