The Joplin Area Chamber of Commerce and the MOKAN Partnership hosted their annual Economic Growth Tour on Friday, October 22, giving individuals a behind-the-scenes look at Joplin. This year’s tour focused largely on the manufacturing companies which make up the largest industry in our community.
- Joplin, and its surrounding region, has seen continued business growth throughout 2021, especially in our medical, entertainment, education, manufacturing and distribution sectors. More than 1,000,000 square feet of modern warehousing and manufacturing expansions were completed in the Joplin region this year with $100 million invested in warehousing and distribution operations in 2020.
- Boyd Metals, Inc. is a full-line steel service center with four locations across the United States. Boyd Metals continues to participate in and support the planting and expansion of new maintenance projects, including Refresco, Don’s Cold Storage, and Jasper Products.
- Kansas City University – Joplin is a fully accredited, private not-for-profit health sciences university that offers multiple graduate degrees in a variety of programs, including osteopathic medicine, clinical psychology, and bioethics. In May 2021, the Joplin campus graduated its first class of doctors and broke ground on its new College of Dental Medicine, which will be completed in August 2023.
- Schaeffler Group, USA, Inc. is a leading global supplier of metal bearings for the industrial and automotive sectors with a worldwide network of manufacturing plants, receiving and distribution facilities, and sales companies in 170 locations across 50 different countries. They have been investing in tens of millions of dollars in their newest facility in Joplin since acquiring those assets in 2005, and it is projected to be complete by the end of 2021.
- Crossroads Business Park is one of 16 shovel-ready industrial parks in our tri-state area. The park hosts several national manufacturing and distribution brands, including General Mills, Amazon, Casey’s General Stores, Coca Cola, and many more. It was recently certified ready by the State of Missouri, and in 2020, it was rail-certified by Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF).
- Don’s Cold Storage & Transportation LLC is a third-party logistics storage and transportation company that employs approximately 120 employees in Missouri alone. In January 2021, they began a 400,000-square-foot dry storage facility in Neosho, and in May 2021, they completed a 220,000-square-foot dry storage facility in Joplin.
- Liberty Utilities owns and operates regulated water, wastewater, natural gas, and electric transmission and distribution in 12 states. In 2021, they completed their first community solar facility on 60 acres of leased land near Highway 249. The Prosperity Solar Facility, built on reclaimed mining land, makes productive use of acreage that is not suitable for agricultural or commercial purposes while giving customers an affordable energy option that supports a cleaner environment.
Thank you to our sponsors, Liberty Utilities, U.S. Bank, Kansas City University – Joplin, and Thomas Jefferson Independent Day School.
Make sure to save the date for next year’s Economic Growth Tour: October 21, 2022!
Erin Slifka, Marketing & Public Information Manager
Joplin Area Chamber of Commerce
Be the first to comment