(Joplin, MO) – Anyone creative, crafty, or even just curious is invited to enjoy the “Makerspace” within the Joplin Public Library (JPL), 1901 E. 20th Street, in a come-and-go format, during the
- Tuesdays: 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Wednesdays: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Thursdays: 2:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Fridays: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Second & Fourth Saturdays: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
The JPL makerspace is a free innovation space, open to all, where the public is invited to create, invent, tinker, explore, and discover using various tools and materials. Some popular equipment available for use include:
A Laser Cutting and Etching Machine (Epilog Zing)
- To be used for nearly anything except plastic. Wood, cork, canvas, glass, and more! Wood is available to purchase for a nominal fee in the Makerspace.
- An appointment is required to use this machine, contact Jill Sullivan at 417.623.7953, ext. 1041 or email email@example.com.
A 3D Printer for Smaller Objects (Ultimaker3)
- Staff can help you design objects using web-based 3D printing applications/software.
- JPL has two types of plastic available for public use: ABS + PLA at 20 centers per gram.
Digital Media Conversion
- Turn your old photos, film, VHS tapes, and more into digital files or burn them onto DVDs.
iMacs + Mac Books + PC
- Whether you prefer Macs or PCs, are a beginner or an expert, explore an array of software on our machines includes the Adobe Creative Suite, Audacity, GarageBand, iMovie, the Microsoft Suite, and more.
- Create audio/video recorders with our camcorder, digital audio recorders, green screen, and lighting equipment. Bring your own media for digital file storage, such as discs, a USB/flash drive, or an external hard drive.
- Other Makerspace equipment includes a sewing machine, a button press, cutting mats, a 12″x12″ paper cutter, and miscellaneous craft tools.
We are please to announce that our Makerspace assistant, Hazel Overman (or trained staff Jill Sullivan or Stephanie Cope), will be on hand in the space to assist you with the equipment. However, our staff will not create or edit your projects for you. We want to empower you and for this project to be yours!
Optional appointments are available for any equipment use by contacting Jill Sullivan at 417.623.7953, ext. 1041 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The only appointments required are for the laser cutter/engraving machine; the other maker equipment is commonly available on a first come, first served basis.
The hours listed above are temporarily set, to accommodate holiday projects and to gauge public interest. Feel free to read more about the Makerspace and check for any upcoming hourly changes here.
Jill Sullivan, Director
Post Art Library
Chelsey Gatewood, Public Relations and Marketing Assistant
Joplin Public Library
Be the first to comment