The Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services (DHSS) released a health advisory detailing information about the Delta variant, which causes COVID-19. New variants emerge when a virus develops one or more mutations that differentiate it from the predominant strain. You can read the full release here.
- The highly transmissible Delta variant emphasizes the importance of continued COVID-19 testing for patients with symptoms or who have been exposed.
- As of mid-June 2021, Delta variant accounts for 20% of new cases in the US, with the highest concentration in Southwest Missouri, comprising 67% of all Delta variants identified.
- Delta variant has a 64% increased risk of household transmission, is 40% more transmissible outdoors, and carries approximately double the risk of hospitalization.
- Top Delta variant symptoms include headache, runny nose and sore throat. Fever and cough are less common. Loss of smell is not in the top ten symptoms.
- Since symptoms are similar to other illnesses, infected persons may not recognize them as COVID-19-related and not seek health care or testing.
To schedule an employer-authorized COVID-19 test with Freeman, click here.
Freeman Health System