One Joplin has had a productive and active summer! Learn more about their latest efforts in this new summer update.
A Note from One Joplin’s Executive Director
As I compile this newsletter, I am humbled and amazed by the dedication and commitment of One Joplin’s partners. I am excited to see what can be accomplished when partners connect across teams at the One Joplin Summit. I would like to challenge you to not only attend October 6 but also extend a personal invitation to at least one community member to bring their perspective and ideas.
Nicole Brown, Executive Director
One Joplin Summit
October 6 @ 8:30 am to 12:00 pm | Hope City Church
At this event, we will look back at One Joplin’s successes, connect with area organizations, and work together to envision new opportunities for the future.
It is important we have representation from a large variety of perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences. We want and need your participation and input! Please register at OneJoplin.com.
One Joplin Poverty Simulation
October 27 @ 9:00 am to 1:00 pm | Joplin Family Worship Center
Participants will gain insight into the challenges low-income individuals face daily, identify areas of change that could impact poverty’s impact on individuals, families, and our community, as well as learn about social capital and opportunities to make a long-term difference.
In the simulation, participants are assigned a role and will experience a month of life in their situation with a variety of options for individual outcomes, the roles are based on actual client experiences. Please register at OneJoplin.com.
The One Joplin core teams continue to collaborate to identify and meet the needs of our community. If you would like to learn more about any of the teams or join a meeting, please email Director@OneJoplin.com.
- Healthy Joplin team: Have you noticed sidewalk stencils on your walk, hike, or jog? These images are brought to you by the Healthy Joplin team in an effort to encourage physical activity and promotion through social media platforms. The Walking Sub-Team is selling #HealthyJoplin t-shirts, order yours today. The Healthy Kids Sub-Team partnered with the Joplin Family YMCA, Joplin Parks and Recreation Department, Joplin Fire Department, The Alliance of Southwest Missouri, and Missouri Department of Conservation to host the first-annual Show-Me Water Safety events. Children learned about water and boat safety as well as CPR. All participants received free lifejackets and practiced swimming while wearing the lifejacket. Additionally, a water safety board was installed at Wildcat Glades to provide guidance for anyone considering swimming nearby.
- Poverty team: A ribbon cutting was recently held to celebrate completion of the Joplin United Micro-Housing Partnership (JUMP) duplex. The 500-square-foot unit is located at 1407 and 1409 Central Avenue, and its rental is managed by Catholic Charities of Southern Missouri. The Social Capital Sub-Team is hosting the October 27 Poverty Simulation with plans to make the offering an annual event.
- Literacy team: The Literacy Team completed a resource drive to collect supplies to support early childhood and youth literacy. Donated items will be used in Parents as Teachers home visits. Books will be distributed to area blessing boxes with information about children and adult literacy resources. Volunteers are needed to help sort books and insert labels.
- Human Services team: The Human Services team is currently working on a map project to assist community members in identifying providers for physical and mental health, vision, and dental care, as well as locations to access groceries using SNAP benefits. This map will be overlaid with the City Trolley routes.
- Steering team: Thank you to outgoing Steering Team members, Brad Hodson, Melinda Moss, and Dan Pekarek. Your time, dedication, and leadership have left a long-term impact on One Joplin. Please welcome new members and congratulate the newly appointed chair and vice chair. The Steering team welcomes questions, ideas, and concerns. The team includes:
- Rachel Heisten, Lifework Talent Consulting, LLC, 2022 Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ryan Melton, Freeman Health System, 2022 Vice Chair, email@example.com
- Tonya Sprenkle, Joplin Area Chamber of Commerce, Treasurer, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Melinda Brown, Missouri Southern State University, email@example.com
- Duane Dreiling, United Way of Southwest Missouri & Southeast Kansas, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nick Edwards, City of Joplin, email@example.com
- Cameo Harrington, Stealth Creative, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chuck Kralik, Byers Avenue Methodist Church, email@example.com
- Kerry Sachetta, Joplin Schools, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Louise Secker, Community Foundation, Keller Williams Realty, Inc, email@example.com
- Ryan Talken, Joplin Health Department, firstname.lastname@example.org
Nicole Brown, Executive Director