The Joplin Chamber and MOKAN Partnership hosted its annual economic growth tour on Friday, October 16th giving individuals a behind the scenes tour of Joplin. This year’s tour focused on the diverse business make-up of our community, read tour highlights below.
- Joplin is currently leading the state in recovery stats and our local business attraction pipeline is equal in size to the Missouri Partnership’s (the rest of the state) in terms of number of deals, deal values, and payroll impact.
- Midwestern is a locally grown software company whose reach goes beyond the city limits of Joplin, working with clients located in international markets and around the United States. Midwestern has experienced growth year over year allowing the company to expand their team by attracting talent from the west coast and retaining local talent, training individuals who are in high school to local college graduates.
- KCU-Joplin welcomed its inaugural class of osteopathic medical students in July 2017, who will be graduating as their first class of physicians in May 2021. The third and fourth year students have performed their clerkships at Joplin and surrounding area’s medical offices and hospitals.
- The College of Dental Medicine will further enhance KCU’s role as an economic driver in the multi-state region and specifically the City of Joplin. It is estimated the College of Dental Medicine will generate a financial impact of $45 million annually, support more than 200 jobs, and generate at least $1.7 million in state and local taxes.
- Liberty is bringing wind energy to the region through the construction of three wind farms, two in southwest Missouri and one in southeast Kansas. Liberty is also constructing its first community solar facility. Located in Joplin, Missouri, the facility will generate approximately two megawatts of clean solar energy.
- The tour highlighted existing companies who are experiencing expansions and new projects that are expanding their operations into Joplin with an estimated investment of $130 million. Participants heard presentations from representatives of the Jasper Products, Don’s Cold Storage, and Big Apple Travel Center expansions.
Save The Date for 2021 Economic Growth Tour October 22, 2021
Erin Slifka, Marketing and Public Information Manager
Joplin Area Chamber of Commerce