(Joplin, MO) – Joplin City Council decided on June 2 to move into Phase 2, Step 2 of Joplin’s COVID-19 recovery plan.
IMPORTANT: All businesses and organizations must comply with orders from the City of Joplin and State of Missouri.
The City will begin lifting restrictions and will change the following for all businesses and organizations within Joplin city limits:
- Restrictions on personal services, including salons, gyms, churches, and theaters, will lift from 25% to 50% capacity.
- Businesses will remain at 25% capacity until June 15 in accordance with directives from the State of Missouri.
- Group seating at churches, restaurants, and bars will increase from six to ten.
- Fitness classes at gyms may resume, and locker rooms and swimming pools may open.
- Mass gatherings with a limit of 50 individuals will be allowed; funerals are exempt from this restriction.
- Outdoor sports may resume; participating teams are not required to be from a 50-mile radius of Joplin, despite the City’s original plans.
- Employees at movie theaters are required to wear masks within six feet of customers.
- Arcades may open.
Restaurants will also be allowed to loosen their restrictions and are expected to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Groups of no more than ten will be allowed to sit together.
- Buffets and self-serve stations may open as long as an employee is present to enforce social distancing and sanitize frequently touched surfaces and utensils.
- Eating utensils should be rolled.
- Employees that are within six feet of customers are required to wear masks.
- Restaurants must be thoroughly cleaned every day and common touch points such as condiments, menus, and pay stations should be disinfected after each use.
- Other areas, including counters, door handles, handrails, light switches, and restrooms must be disinfected at least hourly.
The City also advises restaurants to continue to offer drive-thru, pickup, and delivery options and to offer contactless payment options.
All businesses are required to enforce social distancing with at least six feet between individuals and to have handwashing stations or hand sanitizer available. Each employee and non-employee should be screened for COVID-19 symptoms before being allowed to enter the facility, join an event, etc.
To read the full recovery plan, visit https://www.joplinmo.org/1081/Response-and-Recovery-Plan. Those with questions on these new policies should contact the Joplin Health Department at 417.623.6122.